29.3.12

DIFFUSION MIX #1 ~ CHITS

Recently we asked our brother chits to hit us up with a mix. He did, and the delectable fruits of his labour have materialized in a refreshing jolt of dark, washed out juke joints. As a producer, chits represents one of the most interesting and essential movements in modern music, for our liking. Along with the likes of Lil Jabba, Howse, and slava et al, chits engages in the hazy landscape of second generation footwork producers. Unlike the Chicago originators, these fellows have taken the genre off the dancefloor and into the mind – exploring juke’s capabilities within the context of a plethora of other genres. Chits’ selections are a perfect example of this. The mix features everything from Burial to Madlib, with chits’ own new and old productions, as well as the likes of slava and Sully, generously peppered throughout. And what is great about this mix is the maintenance of a very distinct vibe. It is heavy, perfect for late night driving, but also sporadic and jolty; it resides, as an entity, in the stratosphere, yet there is something essentially human about it.



We hope you enjoy, because we certainly have! We also asked the man to do a short interview with us, so here it is, with chits revealing some information about himself, his process, and his intent:

First up, there is barely anything online about you, can you tell us who you are, where you’re from, how old you are and what you do?

Ye I'm Zach from Pennsylvania. I've lived a bit in Los Angeles, and rather like it there. Currently I'm 20 years old, hoping to reach 21 sometime this year, and I honestly don't do much...but sometimes I make pizza and music.

How did you get into making music and how did juke music start influencing your beats? Did you start out juke or did your sound evolve from something/somewhere else?

I got into making music through the interwebs u dig? E-homies showin me the basics of making beats on a computer, and then just always expanding on my productions. So eventually I ended up making real fast shit, like juke. I never really intended to do the whole footwork thing, it's just kind of how I would make a beat at those kinds of tempos.

We have been frothing over the abundant experimental juke that has been cropping up all over the world. How do you see yourself fit into the movement from Chicago?

Haha, I really don't have an answer to that question. I'm not too good at looking at the bigger picture or whatever, but I can say that I'd be surprised if I make any mark on the movement. I can't see myself ever sticking to one style long enough honestly, but hopefully that will change.

It seems that juke music, both the ghettotekz and the 2nd wave of artist happen primarily on soundcloud and twitter. How do you think both of these fickle social media affect the scene?

I dunno, they can't hurt really. It's easy as ever to find some new new floating around. If it were up to me though, juke should only be on myspace. It just seems real myspace-y.

Footwork, as a genre is traditionally geared for the battleground. Do you make tunes with footwork (the dance) in mind or are you after a more cerebral experience?

Nah I'm never thinking about the dance while making tunes...I'm really not thinking about much at all. I'm more about just trying things and seeing where I end up. So ya I'd say certainly more cerebral. I would hope people can just feel it, and if dancing is a side effect of that, then that's what's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment